Chef Cristian’s Mutt-Loaf Recipe
By: Chef Cristian Feher
By: Chef Cristian Feher
Forget about the hot dog factory, and think about an even more “interesting” place - the dog food factory. Dog food is usually made with ingredients that are not fit for human consumption - they’re cheap, and they are usually by-products other businesses don’t want. There is very little enforcement over what goes into commercial dog food, and it’s often loaded with chemicals, preservatives, and traces of antibiotics, growth hormones, drugs, and whatever else may have been part of the carcases used to produce the meat “by-products” that make up the bulk of commercial dog food. It’s no wonder our pets are so allergic, diseased and live such short lifespans.
Bluntly speaking, a body is constructed out of the food it eats. Put in healthy food, and you get a healthy body. Put in junk, and you get junk.
My dog food is made with all-natural and organic ingredients that are not only fit for human consumption, but are full of clean protein, vitamins, minerals, healthy oils and vegetable fibers. This is a simple way to help your dog live a long, healthy, happy life.
- 3 Lbs organic or all-natural ground beef, turkey, chicken, or lamb
- 4 cups organic or regular brown rice (cooked)
- 3 organic eggs
- 3 cups Chopped organic raw kale
- 6 chopped organic raw carrots
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp Flax seeds
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Flavoring: 1/2 cup of Non-alcoholic beer, or 4 tbsp organic teriyaki sauce, or 1/2 cup malta beverage or a couple of drops of liquid smoke.
- A pinch of sea salt
NOTE: Remember that your dog's senses of smell and taste are very keen. So you won’t be flavoring this as if you’re making it for yourself, you want to cut back on the seasoning. This means very little salt and only a little flavoring agent.
1. Mix the ground meat with the eggs, rice, kale, carrots, flax seed and yogurt. For even better nutrition, keep half the carrots, and half the chopped kale raw in the fridge, and sprinkle on the dog food when serving.
2. Mix in the flavoring agent of choice. In my experience, malta and beer are liked best!
3. Put into a meatloaf pan (or shape it how you like) and bake it at 375 until cooked through (about 30-40 mins)
4. Let it cool and refrigerate it overnight. Serve it cold or just slightly luke warm. Not hot. It has been our experience that hot food makes the dogs have to urinate.