Grilled Chocolate Cake Recipe
By: Chef Cristian Feher
It could be that I’m a caveman at heart, but I love to make chocolate cake on the grill. I suppose it could be an acquired taste for some, and if you think that’s you, start off by using your gas grill which should only impart a hint of smoke (as compared to a very smoky charcoal grill). This adds a rustic undertone that makes me feel happy.
- 1 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of Quik chocolate milk powder mix
- 1 stick of room temp butter
- 16oz of sour cream
- Coconut ice cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of salt
- Cooking spray
1. Mix together all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Spray a baking tin with cooking spray. Pour the batter into a baking tin (half way up).
3. Grill in the BBQ on low (350-400), lid closed for 20-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
4. Serve hot or warm with a scoop of coconut ice cream on top. Or let it cool to room temp, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night. The cake will become moist and dense, and it's a sugary breakfast of champions with a tall glass of milk!
NOTE: If you can, switch off the gas burner on one side of the grill and put the cake tin on that side. If you can't, just make sure the fire is low. On a charcoal grill, just make sure that there is no flames hitting the tin and that the heat is not too intense.