Beef or Chicken Fajitas
By: Chef Cristian Feher
With this recipe you can make delicious beef or chicken fajitas, Tex-Mex style. You will be pleasantly surprised how the use of Asian soy sauce blends these south-of-the-border flavours so well!
You can cut a lot of fat in this recipe by using a non-stick skillet, using lean meats, and omitting any oils.
Yields: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 Lb of beef (Sirloin, Tenderloin, or New York Strip)
- 1 Lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast.
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ½ tbsp of cumin powder
- ½ tbsp of minced garlic
- ½ tsp of liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large red onion
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Tortilla shells
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh guacamole
- Low fat sour cream
1. Flatten out the steaks (or butterfly the chicken breast) to no more than a ½ inch thick and coat with the soy sauce, cumin, garlic, liquid smoke, cilantro, sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Rub the spices into the meat and let them sit in your fridge for 1 to 3 hours.
2. Julinenne the onion and pepper into slices and fry on a non-stick skillet until soft and cooked through (about 20 minutes). Remove and set aside.
3. Add the meat to the non-stick skillet and cook until done. As for the steak, it can be cooked medium, rare or well, as you prefer.