Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Valentine's Day Dessert | Banana Chocolate Ganache with Coconut Gelato
This is a really decadent recipe that won't take you all day to make. In fact, if you have all your ingredients ready to go, it will take only minutes to prepare. You may have seen me prepare this recipe on the Daytime Show on Valentine's Day in just under 3 minutes!
Chocolate ganache is a rich and creamy chocolate sauce made by combining milk chocolate with heavy cream. Different ratios of cream to chocolate will give you different thicknesses of ganache, from the stuff you find in bon-bons to the creamy ganache you find drizzled on cakes.
For this recipe, I wanted to combine the fun of making Bananas Foster with the richness of chocolate.
I like Talenti brand coconut gelato, found in my local supermarket.
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of coconut rum
- Coconut gelato
- Whipped cream
- Strawberry (for garnish)
1. Pre-heat a non-stick skillet on the stove. Pour in the whipping cream. Wait until it just starts to simmer.
2. Add the chocolate chips and remove skillet from heat. Stir until they are completely dissolved and mixed in with the cream. Add the coconut rum and bananas.
3. Put the skillet back on the heat and stir all continuously for 10-15 seconds. Be careful not to burn the chocolate. NOTE: When chocolate burns, it will get grainy.
4. Pour chocolate ganache over coconut gelato and garnish with whipped cream and a strawberry.