By: Chef Cristian Feher
|© Cristian Feher 2012 | Quail Egg and Smoked Salmon App|
You can find quail eggs at most Asian grocery stores, specialty food stores, and you can even special order them at your local grocery store.
These little appetizers are a good conversation piece, as well as a delicious hors d'oeuvre. People love to ooh and ahh at the little tiny eggs! And if you can fry an egg, you are qualified to make this recipe - easy!
- Mini rye or pumpernickel bread
- Norwegian smoked salmon slices
- Quail eggs (fresh)
NOTE: For this television segment on Fox 13 I took a serrated bread knife and sawed a straight shallow cut along the surface of the quail eggs, being careful not to go very deep, so that the shells would crack perfectly while still keeping the yolk intact.
1. Lay your mini-bread slices on a tray
2. Put a slice of smoked salmon on each piece
3. Carefully crack the quail eggs so as not to break the yolk, and fry them on a non-stick pan (sunny-side-up) just like a regular egg.
4. Place cooked quail egg on top of the smoked salmon and garnish with sliced chives.
(OPTIONAL) Sometimes I squirt the smoked salmon with curry mayonnaise for added flavor.